"Enttäuschung ist für mich gleich Ansporn. Man macht eine Standortbestimmung, zieht daraus Schlussfolgerungen und versucht es anschliessend besser zu machen."
Die Baustelle, 30. Mai 2008
Dr. Edgar Oehler
T +41 71 722 50 59
|Born:||March 02, 1942|
|1949 - 1955||Primary School in Balgach (CH)|
|1956||Secondary School in Widnau (CH) - could skip one class|
|1956 - 1962||State High School (College) in St-Gall (CH)|
1962: Examinations to enter University (Matura B)
|1961||Sr High School Dallas, Oregon (USA)|
1 year AFS-exchange student
|1962 - 1963||Military service - Lieutenant|
|1963 - 1967||University of St-Gall (CH)|
Public Law with specializing in Diplomatic Service
1967: Diploma as lic.rer.publ.
Thesis: „The rights of the people in the canton of St-Gall“ to get the doctor’s degree.
1975: Dr. rer. publ.
|1967 - 1968||One semester at the University of Zurich (CH) - faculty of Law|
|1970||Christian University Tokyo (JP)|
- attending different classes
|1967 - 1973||University of St-Gall (CH)|
Assistant for public and international law
special duties as assistant of the President of the University and assistant for academic lessons
|1967 - 1985||Part-time job as student and afterwards owner of a construction business- founded and ran it with a crew of 20 employees|
- gave it up 1985 after becoming CEO of the AFG company
|1971 - 1995||Member of the Swiss Parliament (House of Representatives)|
|1973 - 1985||„Die Ostschweiz“ - Swiss group of daily newspapers Editor-in-chief additionally responsible for 10 other daily Swiss newspapers|
|1985 - 1990||AFG Arbonia-Forster-Group, CH-Arbon (CH)|
|1985||Member of the Board|
special duties to re-organize the daughter-company Air Froehlich Ltd., company for heat-recovery etc. (60 employees).
|1985 - 1990||AFG Arbonia-Forster-Holding Ltd., Arbon (CH)|
restructuring and going public IPO at the stock market of Zurich/Switzerland (1500 employees when leaving the group)
|1990 - 1991||Justus-Dornier-Holding Ltd., Zurich (CH)|
CEO for a agreed period of one year for all affiliated companies duty to re-organize the troublesome group of companies within one year. Successful.
|1991 - 2004||Association of the Swiss Industry of Cigarette manufacturers|
(includes all major companies, also all US companies)
|1998||Acquisition of Hartchrom AG Steinach, Steinach (CH)|
(100 %-shareholder) (leading functional hard chrome-plating manufacturer)
President and chairman
|11.09.2003||AFG Arbonia-Forster-Holding AG, Arbon (CH)|
Takeover of the majority shareholding of the
|13.10.2003 - |
|Chairman and Delegate of the Board of Directors of the AFG Arbonia-Forster-Holding AG, Arbon (CH) and its subsidiary companies|
|27.01.2004||Takeover of the Bruno Piatti AG, Dietlikon (CH) by the AFG Arbonia-Forster-Holding AG, Arbon (CH)|
|Apr 2004||Takeover of the EgoKiefer AG, Altstätten (CH)|
|Sept 2005||Takeover of Miele Kitchen, Warendorf (DE)|
|2006||Takeover of Schmidlin ASCO Swiss, Zwingen (CH)|
|Jan 2007||Integration of STI | Hartchrom AG, Steinach (CH)|
|Feb 2007||Takeover of RWD Schlatter AG, Roggwil (CH)|
|Sept 2007||Takeover of Aqualux Ltd., Wednesbury (UK)|
|Jan 2008||Takeover of Slovaktual GmbH, Pravenec (SK)|
|Feb 2008||Opening of the new AFG Arbonia-Forster-Holding AG Corporate Center, Arbon (CH)|
|01.05.2011 - |
|AFG Arbonia-Forster-Holding AG, Arbon (CH)|
Member of the Board of Directors
|Jun 2014||Acquisition of STI Precision Machining (Changshu) Co., Ltd., Changshu (CN)|
|Dec 2014||Takeover of STI Group with all its subsidiaries|
Besides the function as Member of the Swiss Parliament various additional functions in own and third party companies:
- different real-estate developments
- Member of the Board and/or consultant of some companies in Switzerland
- Consultant on a international level for
- different companies (for Middle East and Far East as well as for special duties)
- US-Investment group (based in New York) for European Affairs
In Switzerland military service is compulsory. Did service in the Infantry. Quit as Colonel, Commander of an Infantry Regiment after having fulfilled all obligations in 1992. No more military obligations.
- leading and steering activities on all four levels of the Swiss Confederation, i.e. community-, regional-, state- and federal level
- Member of international committee, Member of the Inter-Parliamentary Union IPU, committees for economical and financial questions, European Cooperation etc.
- Honorary President of the European Conference for Human Rights and Self-determination EKMS (organization of Members of European Parliaments, especially active during the period of the cold war for family re-unification, relief for refugees etc.
- 1971 - 1995: Member of the Swiss Parliament (Swiss Congress, Member of the House of Representatives)
- Member of several Committees in Parliament with special duties for military economic-, financial-, foreign policy- and legal questions, some of the most important ones (in the House of Representatives):
- President of the Committee for economic affairs
- other presidencies of various committees
- Member of the Budget Committee (financial committee)
- Member of the Delegation of Finances (most powerful committee)
- Member of the Supervising Committee
- Member of the Committee for Foreign Relations
- Member of the pool for international election observation
- Member of the Delegation Switzerland-European Union
- Speaker of the Party for financial affairs in Parliament
- Member of several national and international organizations with economical and political duties.